June 10, 2022
Daily Briefing — June 10, 2022: Why are there five games on today’s schedule?
And why are four of them on at the same time
It’s Friday — the workweek’s almost passed! Welcome to The Next’s Daily Briefing, featuring the W Roundup and daily Watch List. Day 29 of the WNBA season and its schedule is here, featuring me, at my wit’s end. For the second time in the past week, at least 10 of the WNBA’s franchises are playing on the same day; over that same span, three days have featured no games at all. Oh, and on each of those two oversaturated days, four games almost entirely overlap.
Seriously, I’m at my wit’s end. I cannot keep up with this. And if I can’t keep up with this schedule, how are most fans supposed to?!
But first, read:
- Our Howard Megdal breaks down the decision-making behind Los Angeles’ coaching change and assesses the franchise’s direction in his Basketball Wednesday
- Our Jackie Powell briefs what Marine Johannès brings to the Liberty and eulogizes AD’s tenure
- Her Hoop Stats’ Richard Cohen continues his “WNBA Dissected” with some early-season trends, extremely apt critiques of the Commissioner’s Cup, and more
- ESPN.com’s Alexa Philippou diagnoses the Storm’s problems and opportunities going forward (spoiler: she and I are strongly in agreement)
- Basketball News’ Mark Schindler looks at Sabrina Ionescu’s blazing-hot streak
Chicago: Activated point guard Julie Allemand
Minnesota: Center Sylvia Fowles is out indefinitely with an injury to the cartilage in her right knee
New York: Re-signed point guard Crystal Dangerfield to another hardship
Phoenix: Signed off-ball guard Jennie Simms to a hardship contract
Watch List, Friday, June 10
(All times in Eastern, Game Of The Day in bold)
Chicago @ Connecticut, 7 p.m., League Pass/Twitter (Local: WCIU, NESN+)
New York @ Indiana, 7 p.m., League Pass (Local: YES, Bally Sports Indiana)
Seattle @ Dallas, 8 p.m., CBS Sports Network (Local: JOEtv/Amazon Prime video, Bally Sports Southwest Extra)
Washington @ Minnesota, 8 p.m., League Pass (Local: Monumental, Bally Sports North)
Atlanta @ Phoenix, 10 p.m., CBS Sports Network (Local: Bally Sports South, Bally Sports Arizona Extra)